We’ve largely recovered from the tornado, at least here at The Apiary. Charlie fired up and did set up service on the new generator, and now it sits, gassed up and oil changed, in the garage, waiting to be called into service.
But hopefully never needed.
And of course, the weather in Cleveland is going through puberty, so the day after our Wizard of Oz-like adventures, it’s been cold and snowy.
So, onwards to this week’s Friday 5.
1. In what way have you recently been naughty?
Naturalizer was having a pretty solid 40% off sale, so I bought three new pairs of shoes. How bougie can you be during a pandemic?
- A new pair of black heels to replace the ones I’ve had for at least 12 years, and are looking super ratty.
- A pair of nude sandals that I can wear with summery dresses.
- A pair of (beshitted) flats, in the event I wreck my toe (again), and need to wear flats.
2. What’s the closest you’ve been to death-defying these past few weeks?
I left the house on Wednesday to go downtown to the office to actually get work done with the post-tornado power-outtage. In the time of Coronavirus, that’s both the most, and least death-defying one can get.
3. What temptations have you recently resisted?
Let’s talk about what I haven’t resisted temptation-wise — chewing on my fingernails and picking at my toenails. Every single one of my digits looks right now like I manicured them with a belt sander.
4. What’s something you wish you didn’t recently see?
In the tamest sense ever: Charlie loves to turn on the TV and then ignore it. He’ll then dither on his phone, or walk out of the room, start a project, etc. He did it this morning and set the TV to some visually-broadcasted entertainment pox called the Laff Channel, and it was playing “America’s Funniest Videos.”
I ended up “watching” that garbage for a good 15 minutes before I realize that he’d done That Thing He Does and had abandoned me to this entertainment hellscape.
And I say this as someone that fully admits to spending 8 hours yesterday watching Adam Savage’s “Tested”: I want that 15 minutes of my life back.
5. What behavior from others are you excusing nowadays?
Look, I’m non-confrontational to a fault. So, just ignoring the unwashed masses by and large is pretty much status quo right now.