This year is an abbreviated list. 2017 was not a good year in a ton of different ways. I’m going to keep it very simple this year.
Previous Years in Review
2017 Year in Review
1. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
March 17th – I turned 33 this year.
Spent the day celebrating a St. Patrick’s Day potluck at work, and then out to dinner with Charlie at Burntwood Tavern in Fairlawn. K, Kenny, Charlie, my parents and I went out to celebrate K’s and my joing birthday at Gigi’s and The Speakeasy.
2. Did anyone close to you die?
I lost two wonderful people this year: DadZ’s friend, Rob Smith, on Valentine’s Day, and Hooman’s wife, Vera, to metastatic breast cancer in July.
3. What vacations/trips did you take?
- May: Cincinnati for the Flying Pig Marathon
- June: Washington, DC for PanCan Advocacy Day (album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/6eX1fWj2R5zmM1j12)
- November: Thanksgiving in Louisville (album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/1LX71KmKtaaMtDtx1)
Let’s Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir, Jenny Lawson
Shrill: Notes from a Loud Woman, Lindy West
Sawbones, MacBride Stuart
(I have literally no recollection of reading/listening to this book. But I still gave it 4 stars on Goodreads.)
The Great Forgetting, James Renner
(God, dammit, this book pissed me off.)
Good Mourning, Elizabeth Meyer
The Other Boleyn Girl, Philippa Gregory
First Women: The Grace and Power of America’s Modern First Ladies, Kate Anderson Bower
I’m Just a Person, Tig Notaro
Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal, Mary Roach
(I know I finished it, but it wasn’t memorable at all.)
I also read Nemesis, by Jo Nesbø, but I had a hard time getting into it, and finishing it. I think I’m done with the Harry Hole mysteries. I don’t think I have the patience for them.
7. What was your favorite film of this year?
Book of Life, and it was absolutely my favorite film.
- I Doubt It with Dollemore
- The Dork Forest
- Real Crime Profile
- Extra Hot Great
- It’s Been a Minute with Sam Sanders
- Dressed: the History of Fashion
- Congressional Dish
- How Did This Get Made?
- NPR Politics Podcast
- The Blotter Presents
- The Jackie and Laurie Show
- The Minimalist Podcast
- The Smartest Man in the World
- Stay Tuned with Preet