Be yourself. Above all, let who you are, what you are, what you believe, shine through every sentence you write, every piece you finish.
Starting right after Thanksgiving, my mother has gone full-boar into Christmas decorating. This is probably to make up for the fact that she was so depressed that Prodigal Son was in Japan last year, she did no decorating, not even a tree.
I suppose I can’t complain: I do love Christmas decorating and some traditions. I’m a “secular humanist”, and therefore, celebrate “Secular Christmas.” Religious groups will try to get people back to the “true meaning” of Christmas: celebrating family, togetherness, and helping fellow men – all of which I fully support, but I will not adhere to the “religious overtones” of the season. I’m just not that into religion.
So, I have what my brother lovingly refers to as PS3 thumbs (aching, gnarled joints) from bending hundreds of wire loops to adhere ornaments to. I have two fatty cats who really enjoy sitting in the base of the tree; and if I can’t save the boughs of the tree from the cats, I will save the glass ornaments from getting destroyed when they launch in or out of the tree.
I also have to decorate the main banister at the stairwell. I think half the reason my parents bought the house they live in now is because of the Christmas-decorating-possibilities this banister has. I’m planning on festooning it with pine boughs, lights, and stylized poinsettias. It’s going to be epic.
In addition to home-decorating, I have a new berry-wreath for my office door, and lit pine-garland for around my door. I’m very excited, even if my next-door-neighbor co-worker is a huge Grinch (I feel that I can say this safely, as my girlfriend, K, is his wife, so I know him outside of work, too.)
I’m debating whether or not it’s a good idea to take two Saturday morning classes next semester.
- Free nights during the week.
- Located in Solon, which isn’t terribly far from my house.
- Student loans get waived for the semester.
- I am eligible for student loans for my masters.
- I knock two classes out of the way in one semester, without giving up my weeknight.
- Have to be in early on Friday night, my date night with The Boy.
- I have to drive through snow-belt snow to get to school.
- If I am unable to get loans next semester, the up-front cost to defer the bills for company reimbursement will be phenomenal.
- I have to sit in class for 4 hours.
I suppose this is the practical application of business skills: cost-benefit analysis.
This Christmas does not bode well if I am unable to find a White Chocolate Milkshake from Steak and Shake…
- Do you cook all or part of the meal?
I make the apple pie, and I help with everything else.
- How much do you spend buying groceries for the meal?
My portion cost me $8 this year: it was the apples that really cost me, what with off-season produce and whatnot.
- Do you eat at home or go to someone else’s?
It depends. I don’t feel very particularly, one was or the other.
- Describe your perfect bite?
Turkey, stuffing, gravy, green bean casserole, and cranberry goo.
- White meat or dark?
They both have their appeal; I’m not picky.
- Stuffing with giblets or without?
Ew, no giblets, that’s just…ech.
- Anything you won’t eat at the Thanksgiving meal?
Hmmm…ham. My MIL has ham and turkey sometimes, and I just don’t like ham.
- Carve Mr. Gobble at the table or serve on a platter?
On a platter.
- Favorite pie?
My own apple; but if Gram was still alive, hers would beat mine, hands down.
- Formal table or Chinet?
Formal. If there is any holiday for formal tableware, it’s Thanksgiving.
- Your menu:
Roasted Sweet Potatoes w/ Honey Butter
Good Old Country Stuffing
Green Bean Casserole
Rolls w/ Irish Butter
- Favorite leftover?
An entire reheated plate of everything from the night before.
- Extended family, friends, both or just the immediate family for dinner?
One year, I’m going to have just friends over: it seems like the least stressful way to do it.
- After dinner, do you go to the latest movie or watch football on TV or just a turkey induced snooze?
I usually get stuck cleaning the kitchen; but this year I get to clean and decorate the tree by myself.
- Do you watch the Macy’s Parade?
Nah, I’ll pass.
- Christmas decorations up before or after?
After Thanksgiving. I’m really, really particular about Christmas decorating, and timing is everything.
- Black Friday shopping or sleep in?
Mostly shopping, but not at big boxes stores – that’s insanity.
- Any special Thanksgiving tradition?
Nope. I’m not terribly sentimental.
- Favorite thing about Thanksgiving?
Using the formal dinnerware.
- Favorite Thanksgiving memory?
Dinner at my in-laws house for Thanksgiving, with The Boy, The Brothers (and dates), and the Uncle and Aunt. It was so much fun: it was casual, no stress, everyone pitched in to clean, and everyone enjoyed everyone else’s company. It was awesome.