September 26, 2006

So, I work at a frame shop. I took the job under the assumption that it would be part time. That’s cool. I knew that if I wanted to make significant money, I’d have to take on a second job. It’s a cushy job and I get paid under the table, I have great hours (when I get them), and I am trusted to do what I’m supposed to do when my boss is out of town.

However, I have a litany of problems with this job which are starting to overpower how much I like this job.

At this point, I can’t fathom getting a second job for two reasons.

  1. My boss doesn’t have me on a set schedule. It’s when she needs me to be there because she’s doing other stuff. And,
  2. I’m looking to move in with The Boy, soon-ish, as well as maybe moving straight to Columbus.

I told my boss that I was thinking of moving at the end of October, and she just said, “Well, that’s when the busy season starts. I’ll need you to help me find someone who has some kind of art background.”

I felt bad because I committed at the end of the summer to be there through December (before I realized how much I hated living at home). So, I put my wants and needs on hold because I can’t afford to move out as it is, and because my boss needs the help.

But now I’m not getting any hours. The most hours I have had was this Saturday (8 hours), and Monday (9 hours), because my boss was out of town. I will have hours the weekend after Homecoming weekend (17 hours). Other than this, I come in maybe two times a week for 2-4 hours at a time. And my boss doesn’t tell me when I’m working next. I hear, “Well, I might need you Saturday” or “Can you come in tomorrow?”

Then, she asked yesterday if I was still planning on moving at the end of October and I said no, which to some extent, is true. I haven’t done anything to plan because I’m stuck in neutral with this job. She then asks when I’m moving and I say, “Oh, well, I guess not till the end of December at this rate.”

Her reply was, “Good, I was getting worried.”


Here’s what I’m hoping: I know how to build wooden frames now, so that makes me more valuable. And if I get to do more around the shop, like building frames, I’m going to get more hours. If the holidays are as lucrative as she’s been saying, then I get to make some extra money befor eI move to Ashland/Columbus.

But, I get the sneaking suspicion that she can’t afford to pay me, or have me come in. Which means I’m stuck in a town working 15-20 hours per week, not making enough money, and unable to leave because I verbally committed to this job. When all I really want to do is leave and get some kind of real job.

I know that this is my fault and I should just get another job already, or I shouldn’t have verbally committed to this. But I really needed to vent. I’m feeling very stuck right now.